Nördliche Hildapromenade 2
The Department Generallandesarchiv Karlsruhe is responsible for the agencies and courts of justice in the governmental district (Regierungsbezirk) Karlsruhe as well as the federal agencies located in this district. The Archives, a functional building from 1905, holds the records of the margraves of Baden, of the bishops of Speyer and Constance and a number of archives of former monasteries, such as Salem, Reichenau, St. Peter, Schwarzach or Frauenalb after their dissolution. Most of the approximately 130 000 charters are from these monasteries. As a result of mediatization, parts of the archives of formerly free imperial towns, the archives of the Palatinate Electorate and records from the Hapsburg territories (Vorderösterreich) are kept in Karlsruhe. Of major significance are the records of senior administrative agencies of the Grand Duchy of Baden in the 19th and 20th centuries. They comprise the files of the Parliament of Baden, the Ministries, the Court of the Grand Duchy as well as the Baden Army Corps of the Prussian Army and of other agencies on senior and inferior levels in Northern Baden. Karlsruhe also holds the records of the family archives of the Grand Duke, numerous collections of private Archives and archives of the aristocracy, but also private papers of important public figures. Extensive collections include maps, plans, posters, portraits and photographs.